Data Protection Online Back Up and Recovery Guide
Having compromised or corrupted files can be frustrating. Aside from the fact that your business processes will get affected, it will also require you to spend a lot of time in retrieving all your lost data. This is the reason why data protection online backup and recovery is important. Through this technology, you can instantly recover those accidentally and intentionally deleted files.
Explaining Online Backup and Recovery
Online backup and recovery means replicating a certain data and restoring it when needed.
Online data backup or remote data backup is the process of making a copy of your important data. It is done regularly over a network on a remote server, usually hosted by a service provider. Customers pay the service provider that will backup their data with fees often based on capacity, frequency, and size of backups; as well as the bandwidth and number of users. Small and medium sized businesses that have lower backup volumes are the ones who typically use online backup.
Meanwhile, data recovery is the process of recovering accidentally deleted and corrupted data. The process of recovering compromised data may vary depending on the circumstances of the data loss, the software used to create the backup, and the backup target media.
Online backup and recovery can:
• lessen backup time requirements
• allow you to make backups more frequently
• easily recover a particular file, directory, or volume.
• facilitate in speedy disaster recovery with online mirroring and restores.
• Backup more data in less time
How does online backup and recovery work?
The online backup process duplicates data and saves it on different media or another storage system for easy access in case of data loss. Online backup can be done in several ways including:
1. Backup to the public cloud – This involves storing data directly to cloud infrastructure providers, such as Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure.
2. Back up to a service provider – The company writes data to a cloud service provider with backup services in a managed data center.
3. Cloud-to-cloud backup – For data stored in the software as a service (SaaS) applications, this practice replicates that data to another cloud.
Online data recovery:
On the other hand, when dealing with online data recovery, files can be recovered from the cloud or right in the cloud.
1. Recover from the cloud – This solution will require you to download your backed up data from the cloud. You need to transfer gigabytes or even terabytes of data over the Internet, which take hours or days depending on its size.
2. Recover right in the cloud – Here, the entire server, including the operating system, applications, patches, and data are compressed into a single software or virtual server. This virtual server can be replicated to an offsite data center and spun up on a virtual host in a matter of minutes in case of a disaster.
Why do businesses need a Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery?
Data archiving for references
Records of data are essential for a company’s growth. Data should always be kept for project comparison and accountability of a business in the future.
Malicious actors and viruses
Cyber-attacks are wreaking havoc on organizations. With threats such as malware, spyware, and ransomware, you have to make sure that you have data copies in a secured storage.
Technology can’t always be trusted. Any failure in the machine can get the equipment damaged and cause the loss of all data stored there. Having an online backup and recovery strategy will allow you to retrieve your data when you need them the most.
Recovery from sudden disaster
Calamities such as earthquakes, hurricanes, and fire can affect a certain network and can wipe out all the data in your location. With that said, a business should always be prepared with an online backup and recovery plan.
Data Protection Online Backup and Recovery Advantages
Here are some of the advantages of using data backup and recovery services:
Increased reliability – Since the backup is done on the internet, it allows you to recover the files you want any time.
Business reputation – Having backup and recovery services can keep your business protected, further enhancing your brand reputation.
Professional assistance – This will ensure that the backups are done by a team of experts.
Security of Your Data – Your critical files are encrypted before being transferred to the off-site data center for backup.
Avoid Downtime – Without your data and business applications, it would be difficult to work. Having online backup and recovery will help you to recreate whatever was lost and maintain uptime.
Using a data protection online backup and recovery service is important to ensure the overall success of your business. Without one, your business will be more vulnerable to permanent data loss, massive downtime, and unnecessary expenses. This being said, you should always have a data backup and recovery plan in place.