Network Security is Essential and Managed Networks Can Help
Network security protects IT networks and systems from cyber-attacks, and it should be an absolute priority for businesses of every size. Cybercriminals are relentless. When their attempts to hack into a system succeed, it often means the demise of a business. When a company’s IT department is too small to focus on network security, hiring a managed network service provider is the ideal solution.
Are Small and Mid-Sized Businesses at Risk?
Breaches in network security have affected 53% of small and mid-sized businesses (SMBs). The reported costs to repair damage caused by cyber-attacks are staggering. About 39% of SMBs affected repaired the damage at a cost of less than $100,000. Another 20% reported that their costs were between $1 million and $2.5 million.
How Can a Managed Network Help?
The recommended processes for ensuring network security often go beyond the capability of SMBs’ staff members. A managed service provider (MSP) can provide managed network services that significantly improve cybersecurity, all at a reduced rate. In addition, an MSP puts companies on the offensive, as far as keeping technology updated and running.
Essential Steps in Network Security
The following are a few examples of what is needed to ensure network security:
- IT expertise in the area of cybersecurity, which managed networks can provide.
- Various threats to guard against include ransomware, denial of service (DoS) attacks, and malicious programs.
- Regularly update procedures to cover new types of cyber-attacks.
- Ensure that employees follow advanced password policies, to reduce threats to network security caused by weak passwords.
- Restrict user access so that employees only have access to data related to their jobs.
- Schedule a risk assessment to find out whether any weaknesses in network security exist and fix any vulnerabilities that are discovered.